In the UK, road accidents are a major concern and cause of injury and death. On average, 5 people die on the road every day, and 84 are seriously injured, despite most fatalities and injuries being preventable. If you want to keep your fleet drivers safe, it's crucial to put in place measures to prevent accidents. One effective way to do this is to use Fleet Tracking Software.
What is Fleet Tracking Software?
- Fleet Tracking Software is a type of technology used to track and manage fleet vehicles. It uses GPS tracking technology to provide real-time information on your fleet's location, speed, and status. You can use the data the software collects to make informed decisions to improve safety.
- The software's features include real-time tracking, driver performance monitoring, and maintenance scheduling. You can access the software online or via a mobile app, making it easy to access critical fleet information.
- Various industries use Fleet Tracking Software to reduce fuel costs, improve driver safety, and optimise routes.
Why it's crucial to prioritise driver safety and reduce accidents
- Driver safety and accidents can affect your business's financial health and reputation. Here's why it's crucial to prioritise driver and road safety:
Protect your employees
- Your drivers are the backbone of your business, and their safety should be a top priority. By prioritising driver safety, you protect your employees, reduce the risk of injury, and show them that you care about their well-being.
- Accidents can be costly for businesses. Not only can they result in expensive repairs and insurance claims, but they can also lead to a loss in productivity and increased downtime. You can minimise these costs and keep your business running by reducing accidents.
Improve your reputation
- A fleet with a poor safety record can damage your business's reputation. Accidents and safety violations may discourage customers from doing business with you and can also lead to negative publicity, which could hurt your brand image. You can improve your reputation and attract customers by prioritising safety.
- Depending on your industry, you may need to follow regulations to maintain a safe fleet. By prioritising safety and reducing accidents, you can stay compliant and avoid penalties and fines.
Create a safe community for everyone
- Accidents involving fleet vehicles can also affect the wider community. By reducing accidents, you help create a safer environment for everyone on the road.
How to improve driver safety and reduce accidents: 5 steps
- Let's dive into how you can improve driver safety and reduce accidents with Fleet Tracking Software:
Track driver behaviour
- Vehicle Tracking Software can provide real-time data on driver behaviour, such as speeding, harsh braking, and rapid acceleration. By monitoring your team's behaviour behind the wheel, you can identify drivers at risk of causing accidents. From here, you can provide training to improve their skills.
Optimise route planning
- Efficient route planning can help you reduce your drivers' time on the road and help them avoid congested areas or high accident zones. With Fleet Tracking Software, you can track your fleet vehicles and find the safest routes in real-time to reduce their chances of an accident.
Prioritise vehicle maintenance
- Regular maintenance keeps your fleet vehicles in good working condition. With brakes, tyres, and other systems functioning, you can reduce the risk of breakdowns or accidents. You can prioritise preventative maintenance by scheduling recurring jobs with Fleet Tracking Software. Scheduled maintenance can help you identify issues before they become major problems. Getting ahead of the problem can help you prevent breakdowns which could lead to accidents.
Track vehicles in real-time
- Real-time tracking can help you respond to emergencies like breakdowns or accidents. With access to a technician's live location, you can send help immediately. You can also use information collected from real-time tracking for insurance purposes. You can record when and where the accident happened, and if you have dash cameras, show your insurance provider what happened.
Encourage safe driving
- You can use Vehicle Tracking Software to incentivise safe driving practices. You can reward employees who practice safe driving, such as following speed limits and avoiding harsh braking. Offering a cash reward or a benefit like extra annual leave may encourage your drivers to follow the rules of the road.