As a field service business owner, you are constantly on the go, juggling multiple tasks and facing unexpected challenges. With so much to do, staying productive and achieving your goals can be challenging.
That's why we've compiled a list of productivity hacks that can help you save time, reduce your workload, and boost your performance. From time-management strategies to technology tools, these tips are designed to help you work smarter, not harder, so you can increase your capacity and deliver a quality service to your customers.
What is productivity?
- Productivity is the efficiency with which resources, such as time, money, and labour, are used to produce goods or services. It measures the output achieved in relation to the input. Improving productivity is a key goal for many organisations, as it can lead to reduced costs and increased efficiency and profits.
Why productivity matters
- Productivity is vital because it affects profitability, competitiveness, and growth potential. Here are some reasons why it's essential for your business:
- Efficiency: Productivity helps your business to operate more efficiently by reducing waste, improving processes, and maximising the use of resources such as labour, capital, and time.
- Profitability: With high productivity, you can produce more goods or services with the same or fewer resources. With increased output and fewer costs, you can increase revenue and profitability.
- Competitiveness: If your business is more productive, you can offer higher quality products or services at lower prices, increase your market share and remain competitive.
- Employee satisfaction: Productive employees will feel more engaged and motivated, which can lead to higher job satisfaction and lower employee turnover.
Productivity hacks for your field service business
- We've compiled a list of productivity hacks you can use to achieve your goals and get better results in less time.
1. Create a daily to-do list
- Create a to-do list and prioritise your workload. With a list to refer to, it's easier to remember what you need to do and prevent work from slipping through the cracks. To-do lists keep you focused and stop you from getting distracted.
2. Schedule your appointments
- Creating an efficient schedule can be time-consuming, but with Job Scheduling Software, you can create a conflict-free schedule in half the time. With the software's drag-and-drop tool, assigning a job to the next available technician is easy. And you can save even more time by automating job scheduling.
3. Streamline manual work with automation
- Automate tedious, repetitive tasks to reduce your workload, eliminate human error, and get jobs done when employees aren't on the clock. Automation gives your team time to focus on rewarding tasks that boost morale and keeps your business running 24/7.
4. Delegate tasks
- When there's too much on your plate, making mistakes is easy. But when you share your workload, you can free up time to focus on higher-level tasks. Besides giving you more time, delegation keeps your employees engaged, boosts morale and gives your team the opportunity to develop their skills.
5. Use mobile apps to access information
- With mobile apps, you can access project information on the go, including job sheets, quotes, invoices, payments, inventory and more. Most productivity tools, including Eworks Manager, have mobile apps, giving you remote access to business and customer information.
6. Invest in reliable vehicles
- Unreliable vehicles tend to break down, preventing your team from meeting deadlines. But with reliable cars and trucks, you can avoid mechanical failures and stay on schedule. Remember to prioritise routine maintenance to keep your vehicles in good condition and increase their lifespan.
7. Keep your tools and equipment organised
- Storing tools and equipment in a clutter-free storage space saves your team time, as they can find the items they need and get to work without delay. A well-organised storage place also prevents assets from being lost or misplaced, keeping productivity on track.
8. Communicate clearly with customers
- Clear communication ensures your customers know what product or service you'll be delivering, and that you understand your customers' expectations. With everyone on the same page, you can prevent miscommunications and mistakes that could lead to delays.
9. Use a GPS navigation system
- If you don't know where you're going, it's easy to get lost and spend time trying to find your destination. A GPS navigation system can save time and help you and your technicians find the fastest route.
10. Store information on a cloud-based system
- Capture and store all your data in the cloud and give everyone in your team access to the cloud-based system. Unlike a paper system, cloud-based data can be accessed in real-time from desktop or mobile devices.
11. Use document templates
- Creating documents can be time-consuming, and if you're in a hurry, you may make mistakes or forget to add vital information. With templates, you can streamline the process and get documents like quotes and invoices to suppliers or customers in less time.
12. Schedule virtual meetings
- Ask customers and suppliers if you can meet online rather than in person. Virtual appointments save everyone time because you don't have to travel anywhere, and if the session has a set time, you're forced to stick to the allocated time and have a productive meeting.
13. Manage customer interactions with a CRM System
- A CRM System is a central hub where you can manage all customer interactions in one place. You can respond to queries and complaints faster and prevent conflict from escalating, helping you improve customer service.
14. Simplify your payment process
- With an online payment system like EworksPay, you can simplify your payment process and make it easier for customers to pay you. An efficient process encourages clients to pay you on time, and with more people paying on time, you can reduce the time spent following up on unpaid invoices.
15. Track your time
- When you know how you're spending your time, you can find ways to improve time management and get the most out of your workday. You can use a time-tracking tool to monitor your work hours, identify timewasters and eliminate or simplify processes.
16. Use a password manager
- Losing and trying to retrieve passwords for the systems you use wastes time that could be spent completing admin tasks or customer projects. With a password manager, you can keep your passwords safe and access them whenever you need them.
17. Take notes and capture data with a tablet
- Mobile devices like tablets offer a more convenient way to take notes and capture data than paper. Because you can connect to the internet, you can share information with your colleagues and access data they've shared. Unlike paper documents, digital data can't be misplaced or damaged.
18. Track project progress with a task management tool
- Instead of following up with workers to get project updates, you can track progress in real-time with a task management tool. Solutions like Task Management Software give you access to status updates for all your projects, saving you the effort of following up on each one.
19. Store documents on a password-protected system
- Password-protected storage offers an effective way to keep documents safe. Only your employees can access confidential information, and the system protects your data against cyber attacks like phishing.
- Productivity hacks can help you improve efficiency and profitability and achieve your goals, but it's important to remember that not every hack will work for your business.
- Take the time to explore our suggestions, including using Eworks Manager, and find what works best for you and your business.